WARNING SIGNS OF FOUNDATION PROBLEMS
Think You Have Foundation Problems?
It doesn’t always take a specialist to tell you that you have foundation problems. You can determine this for yourself if you examine your house carefully. Here is a checklist for you to follow:
- Cracks in the interior walls. Look at all the corners of Windows, doors, and at joints where walls meet walls, ceilings or doors for signs that they are pulling away from each other.
- Cracks in a brick fireplace wall. Nails “popping” out of the gypsum board. Raise and lower the windows in each room, open and close all doors. Do they fit squarely without binding?
Outside the house, check the bottom corners of the windows and doors. Do cracks run diagonally, along mortar joints in the brick veneer? Are the caulk joints pulling apart?
Check the exposed concrete at the base of the house for cracks. If there are only small cracks, they may be non-structural, but they may also be first indication of trouble to come. Call a foundation repair professional to make an inspection for you.
If possible, check the house after or during a rain. Does water stand in puddles near the house? Proper drainage is essential.
- Roof Leaks when roof material is in good shape.
Are trees planted near the house? Remember the guideline. A tree should be as far away from the house as its mature height.
- Check gutters and downspouts. Do they empty onto a splash block? And does the roof drain away from the house.
Problems like these should not be taken lightly. Cracks in the interior walls are unsightly and reduce the value of your house. Cracks in the brick walls admit wind and rain that damage the sheathing insulation and interior wall.
Poorly fitted windowsills and doors let in outside air and result in high utility bills. Roof leaks damage the wooden beams, insulation, interior walls and ceiling, and electrical wiring. Shifting of the soil foundation may cause gas and water lines to loosen or bend, creating unsafe conditions and fire hazards.
DOORS THAT DON’T SHUT PROPERLY
SEPARATION BETWEEN WINDOWS
SEPARATION BETWEEN BRICKS
Foundation Problem Signs: Know The Signs Before It’s Too Late!
Inside of House
• Cracks in drywall or ceilings
• Sticking windows and doors
• Cracks in concrete floors
• Gaps around door and windows
• Misaligned doors and windows
• Sloped floors
Outside of House
• Gaps around doors and windows
• Cracks in foundation
• Stair step racks in brick mortar
• Failed waterproofing
• Chimneys are tilting or leaning
• Water ponding around the foundation
• Soil separation around the foundation
• Separation cracks between the floor and walls
• Walls rotating outward
• Slopping floors
• Walls leaning in or out
• Bowed walls
• Cracks in the poured or block walls
• Water leakage through cracks at base of walls
• Cracked floors
• Water stains on floors and walls
• Cracks in the foundation
• Bowing walls
• Tilting or leaning walls